Planning Your Event at Ellis Island
Are you interested in holding a social or corporate event at the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island? This is a unique opportunity to mingle and socialize while surrounded by beautiful historical landmarks. Your event is bound to make a lasting impression on you and your guests.
Be aware that special rules apply when you hold your event at a National Monument run by the National Park Service (NPS). After all, the goal is to preserve our National Monuments for generations to come. Use the information here to help you with the event planning process.
Event Planner & Vendor Information
- The NPS must approve all events held at the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. To seek approval, submit a special use application and a $75 fee. Upon approval, you will receive a Special Use Permit two weeks before your event.
- Prepare to deposit 25 percent upon signing the food and beverage contract, an additional 25 percent three months in advance, and a final payment no less than five days before the event.
- Evelyn Hill Inc. is the authorized concessionaire for the NPS. All outside caterers must be approved by Evelyn Hill Inc.
- Vendors hired to work an event on Ellis Island must conduct a site inspection and drive the load-in route at least two weeks before the event.
- Vendors are required to carry a Certificate of Insurance for $2 million worth of liability coverage.
- Vendors must submit an alphabetical list of employees working the event 72 hours prior to the event.
- Vendors are required to pay Evelyn Hill Inc. a 10 percent commission. Plan this fee into your pricing.
- Setup in the museum’s public areas must wait until the museum closes, which ranges from 5:00 to 6:15 pm depending on the season. Events usually end by 11:30 pm.
- Ferry tickets to Liberty Island or Ellis Island will be arranged for all event staff. Plan call times to coincide with ferry departures from Battery Park, NY or Liberty State Park, NJ. You can find schedules at statuecruise.com.
- If you prefer, staff members can ride empty ferries known as “clearing boats” to Ellis Island. Arrange this transportation at least seven days before the event.
- Arrange to have ferry tickets sent to you in advance or picked up by a manager en masse at the will-call office in Castle Clinton. Individual staff members are not permitted to pick up their tickets.
- A ferry will return to Ellis Island to transport staff back to Battery Park, NY one hour after the conclusion of the event.
- Everyone attending the event – including staff and guests – must obey the directions of the NPS Rangers and US Park Police.
- Staff and guests must go through airport-style security, including a metal detector. This keeps America’s iconic National Monuments safe for all.
For more information about planning your event at the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, please contact us at (212) 363-3200.